PRINCIPLES OF COMPOSING MUSIC
IN AZERBAIJANI MODES IN FOLK STYLE
I. STRUCTURE OF PERFECT QUARTES
C. Table of permissible leaps
1. Two leaps in one and the same direction are not permitted.
2. Octave leaps neither within mode scale boundaries nor
outside them are also prohibited.
Note. Leaps and gradual movement outside the scale boundaries would
result to tonic and the whole scale transition to another octave.
3. Whole tone step in one and the same direction after
the leap is not permitted.
4. After the whole tone move, leaps in that direction
5. After the leap to the third in the ascending direction a semitone
step in the same direction is prohibited.
6. After the step to the third in the descending direction
a semitone move in the same direction is prohibited.
D. Full and half cadences
Full cadences end in the tonic of the mode. Examples of
a) Gradually from above:
b) With a leap to the subtonic:
c) Gradually from below:
d) Directly by downward leap:
е) Directly by upward leap:
f) Special type of a full cadence:
Stops in the quinte, the third, the quarte, the subtonic and the mediant
form half cadences.
It is possible to approach these degrees only gradually from above or
Examples of half cadences:
[ Rast: pages 1 2
| Rast | Shur
| Segah |